- What is the cost of a Memory Bench?
- The price for a Memory Bench, either traditional or modern style, is $295.00 CDN.
The carving on the aprons is included.
Sales tax is charged depending on the province you are in.
Either HST or GST.
American customers pay no sales tax and there is no duty crossing the border.
Your credit card company determins the exchange rate.
- What is the cost to ship a bench?
- Shipping in Canada to postal codes starting with
To very remote locations add $10.00 and may go by Canada Post.
Michigan across to Ohio & north to New England $55.00
Mid-west & Southern states $65.00
Texas to Montana & West $70.00
Alaska & Hawhii as for a quote.
- Can I order on the phone?
- Yes. We would be happy to take your order over the phone
and answer any questions you might have.
Just like we did before the internet.
- How much does the carving cost?
- The carving in the aprons (the part under the top)
is includes in the price of the bench.
Extra carving on the rails or top is priced at $1.00 per character.
An optional engraved message under the top is $25.00 extra
- How many characters can I have on a Memory Bench?
- You are allowed 13 on each long side and 7 on each end.
A space counts as a character.
- Describe a Memory Bench?
- The bench is 12X18X18 inches tall (the same height as a dining chair)
and weighs 14 pounds.
Made of solid oak with turnes legs and mortis and tennon joints.
It is in the old English style.
Originaly called a joint stool because it would have been made by a jointer.
The modern style uses the same construction methods and solid osk but has the
straight tapered legs and simpler style.
- How long does it take get a bench?
- Normaly it takes 2-3 weeks plus shipping time. We can give you a better idea when you order.
- Can I have the bench sent to the recipient directly?
- Yes. We ship any where in North America.
We can enclose a card to say the bench is from you or you can send
us a card to be enclosed.
We call the reciepient before shipping to confirm that the address you
have given us is convient for them. There is no additional charge for this service.
- Can I have a personal message put on the bench?
- Yes. A message could be engraved directly to the under side of the top for $25.00
See photos in the gallery section
- What if someone else has orderded for the same couple?
- We keep a data base of the benches we have made and
if a second order comes in for the same wedding
we let the second customer know.
It is then up to them to go ahead and send another or not.
- Can I pick my bench in Markham?
- Yes. There is no charge if you pick it up.
Just let us know when you will be coming.
- What colours of stain are there?
- We have three standard colours.
They are antique extra dark ( this is the most popular)
walnut and blonde which is the natural oak and a clear finish on top..
- What is a Douglas Stool?
- The Douglas Stool was made by Ridpaths Fine Furnituer
starting in the early 1940's untill they closed their store in 2011.
You can see a comparison of a Memory Bench and a Douglas Stool
in the gallery section.
The oldest Douglas stool we have seen is dated 1942.
- How long have you been making Memory Benches?
- We made our first bench for sale in 1995 but in 1986 we made one
for our year old daughter. There are now thousands of Memory Benches
accross North America and a few around the worlb.
- How much of the bench do you actually make?
- We machine all the parts right here from raw lumber.
Although we do not turn the legs. Drop in for a tour. It is only one room.
- Can carved panels be replaced?
- Yes. The cost is $35.00 per panel plus tax and shipping.
This includes the carvimg. We try to match the colour.
Benches that have changed with age may show some variation.